Principal Development Engineer - Huntington, WV
Company: Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC)
Posted on: May 25, 2023
United States of America
State / County
PCC Energy Group
The Special Metals Corporation group of companies was created in the latter part of 1998 when Special Metals Corporation of New Hartford, New York, acquired Inco Alloys International, including its Huntington Alloys and Wiggin Alloys divisions. In 2006, Special Metals Corporation became a part of Precision Castparts Corp., a worldwide manufacturer of complex metal components and products. With a history of alloy technology now going back some 100 years, our company continues to provide solutions to difficult materials problems through such time-tested products as our world-recognized INCONEL, INCOLOY, NIMONIC, UDIMET, MONEL and NILO alloys.Today's Special Metals is a world leader in the invention, production and supply of the high-nickel, high-performance alloys used for the difficult jobs in engineering. These alloys are highly engineered to offer a superior combination of heat resistance, high-temperature corrosion resistance, toughness and strength and are used in the world's most technically demanding industries and applications. Special Metals offers the largest range of nickel alloys and product forms, as well cobalt alloys, to more than ten worldwide markets. We produce nickel alloys in all standard mill forms, from large ingots and billets to plate, sheet, strip, tubing, bar and wire, the latter of which includes core and filler wires for welding products. The company has manufacturing and research facilities in the USA and Europe, sales offices in North America, Europe and Asia, and a distribution network including most of the industrialized countries of the world.Special Metals Corporation is the world's premier inventor, developer and producer of nickel alloy and cobalt alloys-with a portfolio of more than 100 alloy compositions, wrought products and welding consumables, over 80 percent of which were invented in our own laboratories. All created to help redefine what's possible in the world of energy and industry.Our time-tested nickel alloys are highly engineered to offer a superior combination of heat resistance, high temperature and corrosion resistance, toughness and strength for the most demanding applications. No other single manufacturer offers such a comprehensive range of game-changing alloy compositions and product forms.With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings, airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil & gas applications; commercial and military airframe aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we insist on quality and dependability - not just in the materials and products we make, but in the people we recruit.PCC is relentless in its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.In 2016, Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett, acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
The position of Principal Development Engineer uses extensive past technical knowledge, computational tools, and industry expertise to define and develop new alloys, new products, new technologies, and/or new applications for existing products within the Metals Group. They provide technical support to manufacturing across multiple PCC facilities and to current or prospective customers in the form of data analysis, process recommendations, alloy recommendations, root cause analyses, and more. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
* Mentor and coach less experienced engineers on process technologies, alloy development, and project management.
* Use computational tools to drive process optimization and rapid process & product development.
* In conjunction with Technical Sales & Marketing, define new alloy and/or new product development opportunities and develop business cases.
* Manage alloy/product development projects, ensuring adherence to timelines and budgets.
* Keep appropriate technical notes and data to enable and execute timely patent applications with assistance from counsel.
* Work with Operations personnel to develop production processes and procedures for new alloy/product during mill scale-up.
* Lead technical and operations teams through the initial production phase of the new alloy/product, including recording and tracking of yield and cost data. Make relevant changes to production procedures to reflect best practices.
* Develop and promote new alloy/products in the marketplace and with targeted customers.
* Work with and lead relevant industry technical committees to ensure new alloy/product gains appropriate approvals.
* Assist all outside sales representatives with technical information and data analysis.
* Manage and interpret customer requirements.
* Represent company at trade shows as the technical resource.
* Write and publish technical papers and provide technical presentations.
* Manage and direct Co-Ops, Interns and technicians.
* Provide technical assistance to sales and customers.
* Provide technical expertise to operations across PCC Metals Group.
* Lead teams or self-driven projects in yield, process control, and cost reduction initiatives.QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
* A BS and preferably an MS or PhD in Chemical, Corrosion, Mechanical, Materials, or Metallurgical Engineering.
* A minimum 10 years of experience working in nickel alloy metallurgy.
* Preferred extensive experience in alloy development and manufacturing with a repertoire of patents and/or publications.
* Strong preference for previous involvement on committees in relevant industry associations, including NACE, API, and ASME.SPECIAL SKILLS
* Extensive knowledge of nickel alloy systems, strengthening mechanisms, elemental roles, and alloy applications.
* Excellent Communication skills is required (VERBAL for effective liaison and teamwork, PRESENTATION SKILLS to present findings to colleagues and customers, WRITTEN SKILLS for formal and informal communication of concise results in a public or internal forum).
* Problem-solving and analytical skills. Knowledge of statistics and black belt certification in six sigma and/or lean manufacturing is a plus.
* Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on several tasks or projects concurrently.
* Commercial acumen and an awareness of the business value of work undertaken.
* The ability to work well independently, with minimum supervision.
* Relentless drive, enthusiasm and self-motivation.COMPETENCIES
* Excellent computer skills
* Attention to detail
* Relentless initiative and drive
* Great organizational skills
* The ability to explain design ideas and plans clearly
* Confident decision-making ability
* Excellent communication skills
* The ability to work within budgets and to deadlinesADDITIONAL NOTES
* Willingness to travel 5-30% of the time is desired.
* The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - THE PHYSICAL DEMANDS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE THAT MUST BE MET BY AN EMPLOYEE TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
Frequently moves about the production facilities. Must be able to detect unsafe conditions from long distances.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - THE WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE AN EMPLOYEE ENCOUNTERS WHILE PERFORMING THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required the use of personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.(This position is eligible for a referral bonus per the PCC Metals Group Referral Bonus Program).
Relocation is authorized for this position.
Keywords: Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC), Huntington , Principal Development Engineer - Huntington, WV, Engineering , Huntington, West Virginia
here to apply!