Homeowner Field Adjuster, (Exp or Entry-Level) Twin Cities, MN Metro Area
Company: American Family Insurance Claims Services
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Location: AF-MN Offsite Minnesota
At American Family Insurance Claims Services, we believe
people are an organization's most valuable asset, and their ideas
and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we're
committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers
innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers'
dreams in ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance Claims Services is driven by our
customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job
- we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team
in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for
what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey
that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join
our team. Bring your dreams.
R21130 Homeowner Field Adjuster, (Exp or Entry-Level) Twin Cities,
MN Metro Area (Open)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and
your geographic work location.
Compensation Minimum:$56,200 Compensation Maximum:$89,900
The Property Claim Field Adjuster position supports the Claim
Division goal of ensuring customer service industry leadership and
partners with agency to deliver seamless claim service across
multiple states. An experienced adjuster who has achieved mastery
in and performs all areas of property claim adjustment activities
with the highest degree of competency and independence. Processes
and continues to develop a mastery of complex property field claims
that require on-site inspection on a routine basis required of an
experienced property claim adjuster. Evidences effective
performance in the areas of customer, agency and public
Estimating Loss & Damages
- Gathers information via on-site inspections, and researches via
phone and internet to determine replacement costs for both
structure and contents. Complete building inspections meeting OSHA
- Prepares accurate estimates by utilizing electronic estimating
tools and systems, replacement research results and finally
contractor data to establish fair and competitive pricing within
Fair Claims Acts.
- Determines when to repair or replace structural and personal
property loss items dependent on careful review of factors
- Sets reserves within authority and recommends settlement values
when loss exceeds authority.
- Completes factual reports in a timely manner with company
corporate standards and state regulations.
- Maintains and controls additional living expense exposure.
- Within authority, investigates cause and origin of claims by
contacting the appropriate parties including insureds, claimants,
agents, attorneys, contractors, other adjusters, public personnel,
etc. Checks for prior claims and recognizes environmental
- Identifies and coordinates others to assist with complex issues
such as court interpretations, structural design and mold.
Assistance may be sought from Legal, company personnel, and
experts, e.g. engineers.
- Recognizes pertinent issues and formats questions to obtain
recorded or written statements to properly resolve the assigned
claims. Handles claims on a good faith basis.
- Recognizes when to secure public documents to complete a claim
file investigation. Secures, preserves and maintains evidence in a
- Recognizes and investigates losses involving subrogation and
salvage potential. Uses knowledge of third party and tort
- Identifies and investigates fraud files within authority and
handles complex fraud files. Involves and coordinates investigation
with SIU (Special Investigations Unit) when necessary.
Policy Determination & Analysis
- Interprets and determines policies and contract coverages and
applies to all parties for assigned losses. Interprets claim
history coverages. Selects proper loss codes based on policy
- Identifies state-specific legislation and legal precedent based
on prior legal cases for assigned geographical area. Seeks
assistance as needed.
- Utilizes company Claim Bulletins, manuals and best practices.
Demonstrates knowledge of underwriting guidelines, inspects risks
and makes recommendations to the Underwriting Department as
- Applies decision making process to available data to determine
extent of coverage or non-coverage and communicates results to
Negotiation, Settlement (15%)
- Handles claim negotiations by settling within authority and
providing the best customer experience in the industry.
- Provides a clear explanation of the estimate to the customer,
answers all questions and processes the claim payment.
- Recognizes the need for and obtains non-waiver as needed.
Recognizes the need for and sends Reservation of Rights
- Recognizes, controls and resolves disputes with tact and
diplomacy. Notifies or directly involves the agent in the dispute
resolution. Utilizes arbitration, appraisal and alternate dispute
resolution as needed. Recognizes when assistance is needed and
File Management (15%)
- Actively manages individual claim inventory and works toward
meeting cycle-time goals for closing files. Claim inventory will
focus on complex and highly complex claims within a given authority
level that require on-site inspection, face-to-face contact with
customers, and HRP (Homeowner Repair Program) reinspections.
Maintains a mobile office for settling claims. These claims include
but are not limited to structure damage, smoke, water and fire
losses that require additional documentation and extensive
investigation other than provided by the care center due to complex
coverage issues, fraud indicators, involvement of public adjustors
or need for specialty vendors (engineers, etc.)
- Utilizes the electronic integrated claim system to complete and
document actions throughout the life of the file.
- Conducts initial review of claims received to identify prior
actions taken (e.g. services provided by the Customer Care Center
and appointments scheduled) and determine next steps.
- Contributes to the team environment by assisting with claims
from other adjusters inventories in the adjuster's absence.
Responds to customer inquiries, makes appropriate decisions and
closes file as needed.
- Assists with claims from desk adjusters when on-site
inspections are required.
- Makes independent decisions and self-supervises most files but
recognizes when assistance is needed. Maintains a global view of
the property claim workflow in order to provide customers with
appropriate, accurate and timely information throughout the life
cycle of their claim.
Agency Relationship (15%)
- Establishes rapport with agents and builds on-going
relationships by including agents in the claim handling process as
- Partners with agency to provide seamless customer service.
Jointly identifies opportunities for process improvements and
establishes and implements action plans to address them.
- Facilitates communication between customers, agents, vendors,
third party administrators and other employees. Proactively
provides agents with important claim related information; provides
all parties with claim process and status as appropriate; answers
questions or redirects to other areas.
- Explains and discusses any circumstances that may affect
customer service with agency, vendors, third part administrators or
other claim personnel. Includes agents in problem resolution as
- Provides agents with claim handling information via phone
conversations, office visits or presentations at district
Additional Assignments (10%)
- Conducts effective training for Claims personnel, agents and
others as required.
- Participates in claim committee meetings and claim-related
projects as needed.
- Performs disaster claim duty as necessary.
HRP & Vendor Programs (5%)
- Understands and explains the HRP (Homeowner Repair Program) and
other vendor programs to insureds and claimants.
- Develops relationships with HRP contractors and
content-replacement and specialty vendors. Maintains contacts
during the life cycle of the file.
- Conducts HRP contractor inspections.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions,
support or service
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively handle
simple to moderately complex P/C claims.
- Demonstrated deep understanding and skill related to each phase
of the claim handling process and/or estimation, restoration
- construction experience.
- Nontraditional work hours are expected.
- Thorough understanding of policies and endorsements related to
P/C insurance coverages.
- Successfully applied knowledge of each phase of the P/C claim
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving
- Must be willing to travel for Catastrophe duty if
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work in high, precarious
places between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with exposure to
outside weather conditions between 66 and 100% of the time (applies
to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to climb or balance between
1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to work with distance vision
(clear vision at 20 feet or more) for extended periods of time
(applies to field position only).
- This position requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or
crawl between 1 and 33% of the time (applies to field position
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds
between 1 and 33% of the time.
Additional Job Information:
There are 2 positions open: one reporting to William Olson and
one reporting to Ryan Chase. The territories for these openings
include the eastern side of the Twin Cities and the surrounding
areas. Preferred candidates will have Xactimate and prior field
When you work at American Family Insurance Claims Services
you can expect benefits that support your physical, emotional, and
financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical,
dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care
of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a
pension plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In
addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave
are available to support our employees and their families. Interns
and contigent workers are not eligable for American Family
Stay Connected: Join our Talent Community!
Keywords: American Family Insurance Claims Services, Huntington , Homeowner Field Adjuster, (Exp or Entry-Level) Twin Cities, MN Metro Area, Other , Huntington, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!