Area Coordinator, Residence Life
Company: Marshall University
Posted on: June 7, 2021
Position Title Area Coordinator, Residence Life Banner Position
Number 001292 E-Class NC - Nonclassified - .53 or > Department
Housing Auxiliary - MU5400 Job Description
Marshall University's Department of Housing and Residence Life
seeks outgoing, energetic, and skilled applicants for a full-time,
12 month live-in professional responsible for one of three
residential living communities at Marshall University. Each
community houses between 450-800 students. Area Coordinators are
responsible for the daily administration of their community and
direct supervision of a team of 20-30 Resident Advisors, 6-25 Desk
Assistants, 1-2 Assistant Area Coordinators, and 1-3 full-time Desk
Supervision and Staff Development
- Supervise Resident Advisors, Desk Assistants, Assistant Area
Coordinators, Desk Coordinators and conducts individual meetings,
bi-annual evaluations, etc.
- Contribute and encourage the development of positive working
relationships with all residence life staff.
- Attend and organize weekly staff meetings with building staff
and/or departmental staff
- Assist with selecting, training, development and in-service
activities for the paraprofessional staff.
- Assist with coordination of fall & spring training as well as
ongoing personal and professional staff development
Student and Community Development
- Create and promote a caring atmosphere conducive to student
learning, academic success, and to the personal development of
residence hall students.
- Promote an atmosphere that emphasizes Marshall's values
(academic achievement, personal freedom & integrity, dignity and
respect for the individual, diversity and inclusiveness,
sustainability, and service).
- Work with Assistant Area Coordinators to assess effectiveness
of hall traditions & learning outcomes.
- Encourage behavior that demonstrates professionalism, role
modeling, and positive communication.
- Mentor and be available to student leaders through RHA, NRHH,
and Hall Council.
- Implement and manage residential curriculum and learning
outcomes in community.
- Develop and maintain a positive and mutually supportive working
relationship with all campus offices.
- Facilitate and implement academic initiatives such as
collaboration with faculty, promoting study groups and tutoring,
working with relevant MU Marshall University academic offices.
- Advise and counsel individual students, making referrals when
- Assist in the management of student behavior through judicial
sanctioning and student advising.
- Hear, adjudicate, and mediate student housing conduct
- Facilitate roommate mediation process within your assigned
- Assist with university recruitment and retention efforts.
- Implement goals and objectives that are consistent with those
of the Department of Housing and Residence Life.
- Responsible for facility management, housing operations, and
all housing processes in your community.
- Serve on an on-call duty coverage rotation and responds to
emergency or non-emergency situations for campus community on
nights, weekdays, weekends and holidays.
- Maintain office hours (as set by your supervisor) and uphold
high degree of availability and visibility for all residents.
- Oversee residence hall desk operations
- Effectively manage area and committee budgets, as well as
conduct all purchasing for hall activities in accordance with state
- Exhibit effective time management strategies and excellence in
- Ability to take tasks and work independently and with
- Work with confidence and maturity; and understands
confidentiality within appropriate settings.
- Participate in department initiatives such as strategic
planning, retention initiatives, departmental programming, Housing
Sign-ups, Week of Welcome, Opening and Closing of residence
- Work collaboratively with others in the department, division,
Student Affairs and university.
- Enforce University and departmental policies and
- Understand there will be other duties as assigned by
- Serve as an administrator and post consistent student focused
information on the Marshall University Freshman Facebook groups
(first year communities only)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (include certifications) Salary
Range $34,000 Salary Type Salary Time Type Full-Time Work Location
MU - Marshall University
Masters in Higher Education, Education, Counseling or a related
1-2 years in a live in higher education setting
Preferred Education Preferred Experience
Posting Number MU578E Open Date 03/30/2021 Close Date Open Until
Filled Yes Special Instructions Summary
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Keywords: Marshall University, Huntington , Area Coordinator, Residence Life, Other , Huntington, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!