Water Quality & Environmental Compliance Specialist
Company: American Water
Posted on: November 18, 2022
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is
vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an
environment where differences are embraced and where every person
feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is
the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded
water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than
6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and
regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an
estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides
safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our
customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information,
visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter , Facebook
and LinkedIn .
Do you have experience working in a laboratory? Are you familair
with regulatory environmental guidelines? If so, you may be a great
fit for West Virginia American Water! We have a new and impactful
opening for a Water Quality & Environmental Compliance Specialist
to join our team in Huntington, WV. This role will work
independently and be responsible for record keeping and following
lab proceses. You will play an integral role with our routine
testing and sample collection. As the water quality & environmental
compliance specialist, you will read and interpret testing results
and perform regulatory record keeping and documentation. Our ideal
candidate will have knowledge of local, state and/or federal
environmental regulations and have knowledge of proper lab tesitng
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions
about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices,
all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
Responsible for collecting samples from the treatment plant or
distribution system, performing routine water quality analyses,
sample custody, data entry and recordkeeping. Interpret water
quality results and initiate chemical dosage changes to treatment
process. Responsible for organizing functions and activities
related to environmental management and water quality for assigned
facility. Investigates water quality complaints in the field and
determines course of action needed. Responsible for maintaining all
applicable lab certifications, accreditations, or approvals to
conduct compliance and process quality control work. Implements the
day to day collection of water quality samples. Implements programs
to ensure environmental compliance. Assists in resolving treatment
- Conduct sampling and/or analysis, as required, to ensure
compliance with federal and state water quality regulations and
company approved water quality standards. (20%)
- Continuously evaluate water/wastewater treatment processes and
recommend modifications to maintain or improve water quality.
Identify potential issues and problems and initiate responsive
actions and mitigate environmental violations.
- Monitor/calibrate and troubleshoot analyzers, equipment, etc.
to ensure established standards of performance and accuracy are
- Conduct special projects and prepare reports as needed.
- Assist in the training and development of Water Quality Tech I,
II, and III.
- Work with internal and external customers to build good
relationships and solve laboratory issues.
- Evaluate and monitor supplies and other laboratory costs to
assist in maintaining the lab budget.
- Assists in planning, preparation, and control the portion of
the financial plan relating to responsibilities On-Call.
- Knowledge of basic chemistry and laboratory techniques and
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements.
- Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Access.
- Knowledge of federal and state environmental standards and
regulations and understanding of current environmental legislation
- Regulatory knowledge of proper lab analytical testing
- Must understand principles of water and/or wastewater treatment
and be able to troubleshoot systems.
- An associates or college degree is required
- 2-4 years of experience in water, wastewater, or environmental
- A 4 year degree in physical, chemical or environmental sciences
may be substituted for experience
- Local and occasional regional
- Laboratory, as well as indoor/outdoor, production/office
- Full time, Monday-Friday
- Day shift, 8am-4:30pm (flexible)
- Some overtime required
- Must hold a valid state issued driver's license.
- Ability to sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. Stairs required.
- Must be able to distinguish colors to conduct testing using
normal colorimetric methods.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing---
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and
applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion,
marital status, citizenship, or because they arean individual with
a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by
federal, state, and local laws.
Keywords: American Water, Huntington , Water Quality & Environmental Compliance Specialist, Other , Huntington, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!