Metallurgy Research Intern / Co-op - Huntington WV
Company: Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC)
Posted on: November 20, 2022
United States of America
State / County
With more than 120 operations and approximately 20,000 employees
worldwide, Precision Castparts Corp. is the market leader in
manufacturing large, complex structural investment castings,
airfoil castings, forged components, aerostructures and highly
engineered, critical fasteners for aerospace applications. In
addition, we are the leading producer of airfoil castings for the
industrial gas turbine market. We also manufacture extruded
seamless pipe, fittings, and forgings for power generation and oil
& gas applications; commercial and military airframe
aerostructures; and metal alloys and other materials for the
casting and forging industries. With such critical applications, we
insist on quality and dependability - not just in the materials and
products we make, but in the people we recruit.PCC is relentless in
its dedication to being a high-quality, low-cost and on-time
producer; delivering the highest value to its customers while
continually pursuing strategic, profitable growth.In 2016,
Berkshire Hathaway, led by Chairman and CEO Warren E. Buffett,
acquired Precision Castparts Corp.
Spring and Summer 2023 Engineering Co-op Positions
- Metallurgy Research Intern (or Co-op)Essential Duties and
ResponsibilitiesAssist metallurgical staff in Special Metals'
Research and Technology department in the development of new nickel
alloys and production practices to meet increasingly demanding
customer requirements in energy and aerospace markets.
- Immediate supervisor
- Process Engineers
- Plant Operators
- Development Engineers, Research and Technology
- Director, Process & Product Development
- Chief Metallurgist
- Vice President, Research and Technology
Term of Employment:
3-month minimum (to begin in January) - longer is desired (up to
8-month co-op)Examples of job tasks:
- Assist development engineers in laboratory tasks, including but
not limited to cutting, heat treating, performing electrolytic
extractions, designing and building new test setups, performing
corrosion tests, and performing annealing/aging studies.
- Perform microstructural analyses of various as-cast and wrought
materials and present meaning of findings with guidance from
- Submit and manage test requests and work orders for equipment
- Monitor key processes in the mill and report deviations from
process plans for development alloys.
- Learn and utilize statistical analysis tools and DOEs to
problem solve production issues.
- Write technical engineering reports to upper management on
results obtained from laboratory studies.
- Upon conclusion of internship or co-op term, prepare and
present a formal presentation to senior management on contributions
- Actively pursuing or completion of a degree in Metallurgy,
Materials Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering, preferably in
third year or higher.
- Ability to communicate technical information to both technical
and nontechnical audiences.
- Self motivated and self sufficient to accomplish overall
project goals ethically, on time, and with professionalism.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Ability to write formal technical reports.
- Background/knowledge in microstructural analysis
- Experience in lean manufacturing and six sigma problem solving
methodology preferred.Competitive pay, relocation, and housing
stipends offeredThese co-op opportunities are located at ourSpecial
Metals site in Huntington, WV.
Keywords: Precision Castparts Corp. (PCC), Huntington , Metallurgy Research Intern / Co-op - Huntington WV, Other , Huntington, West Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!